Headings

Food (428) History (350) Travel (238) art (203) France (138) Spain (130) Vancouver Island (123) maritimes (119) UK (96) Portugal (81) Postcard of the Interwebs (70) Musings (47) Tofino (47) Scandinavia (44) book (37) Hornby (29) Movie and TV (25) Conventions (23) Music (19) Wisdom without Zealotry (17) Quadra Island (12) San Francisco (11) Ottawa (5)

Monday 6 January 2014

San Diego

It has been a while since I was in San Diego for work. I was here over the American Thanksgiving. I enjoy coming here for a variety of reasons; food being one of them.

After arriving on day one I went to the mall to do some shopping. I had never been in the USA for their Black Friday sales. I was very glad that I was on foot with the conga line of cars seeking spots for them to be parked. I did pick up a kitchen-aid ice cream bowl and a meat grinder. Perhaps I can make some gelato like the Ones we had in Italy! I then went downtown to Horton plaza, a nice open air mall that does not make it easy to get around. I always get flummoxed when I am there until I get used to the maze of walkways and stairs to the various levels.
 
 (picture courtesy of Wikipedia)

I did note the empty stores in the upper level. Even an upscale mall like Horton plaza is affected by the world economic downturn. I then went to Old Town to go to a gamestore and eat at Miguel's Cocina: a Mexican restaurant. I had the cevice and the grilled swordfish taco. I loved the cevice, which I had the last time I was here but the swordfish was dry. The fixings made up for it but I will have something else as a main next time. I then saw the film "Ender'sGame". I enjoyed it and have been encouraged to read the book series, but just the first trilogy. I will put Orsen Scott Card's religious views to the side as I read these, as I do not agree with them, and just read them for the art they are. The books I have of his are used anyways and he earned $0 from box office receipts. Anyways...


On day two I went to Horton Plaza again for Christmas shopping then a gamestore. After the gamestore I went to a coffee house and eatery called Lestat's. My turkey sandwich and broccoli soup were delicious. I also got their Mexican hot chocolate which was a fantastic darker version of other Mexican hot chocolate that I have had. I then went to another game store and then to the Brazillian bbq restaurant, Rei de Gado. I have been eating here when I come to San Diego for over 15 years and the only thing that has changed is the price. The food is always served tasty and hot with many kinds of meat to choose from.

On my last day I went to Horton Plaza one last time and wandered Gas Town to buy a nice summer hat. It being "winter time" in California there were plenty of winter hats but my Canadian body wanted something of a summer nature in this warmer climate. I found a very nice one at Goorin Brothers, where they sell pretty much just hats. I then went back to my work area and had a light supper.

For all the gamestore reviews see my gaming blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment