Headings

Food (428) History (350) Travel (238) art (203) France (138) Spain (130) Vancouver Island (123) maritimes (119) UK (96) Portugal (81) Postcard of the Interwebs (70) Musings (47) Tofino (47) Scandinavia (44) book (37) Hornby (29) Movie and TV (25) Conventions (23) Music (19) Wisdom without Zealotry (17) Quadra Island (12) San Francisco (11) Ottawa (5)

Tuesday 22 April 2014

NORWESCON 2014 - Intro and Friday

My wife and I try to head down to Seattle every Easter. Not primarily for shopping, although we both do that, but to go to NORWESCON. It is a science-fiction and Fantasy convention that occurs every Easter. This year's writer guest of honour was Michael Moorcock and science guest of honour was Catherine Plesko. They have panels on gaming, art, history, writing, science, fan genere, relationships and lifestyles and much more. They also have large and small book publishers, dealers room, dances, gaming (role, board and video, and room parties. It has a little bit of everything. Below is our view out the window in the morning. Nice.

Although the convention started Thursday afternoon, we did not arrive till late Thursday due to an unknown illness of our cat, Squeak. Fortunately we have very good friends that took care of him.

The dealers room had less books and more games, alas. That did not mean that there was not cool stuff.

The panels I went to on Friday were the following: Roman Gladius and Scutum Combat, Impacts that built the Solar System, Monster Mash, and the Fannish Fetish Show.

Roman Gladius and Scutum Combat: This was a hands on class in how to do the basics of combat with a Roman sword and shield as well as unit tactics. This was taught by Tiberius Marius Corax who is part of Castra Ferrata. This is an Iron Age historical recreation group and they know their stuff. My shoulder was quite sore from the shieldwork that we did and taught me more about period combat in Roman times.

Impacts that built the Solar System: This was given by Catherine Plesko who is an excellent speaker. I learned more about how asteroids can change, for better or worse, the future of planets from life-giving substances upon impact or changing the shape of a solar system from afar due to gravitational impacts.

Monster Mash: This was a workshop that I have been meaning to get into for years. Mimi Noyes gathers discarded stuffed animals from her sources and the class picks through them, rips them apart and makes new creations. Mine is pictured below; the King of flying spider monkeys. It will look great at work hanging overhead.

Fannish Fetish Show: I had heard interesting things about this show and decided to attend with some friends I had not seen in a long time. I was expecting more of a burlesque show, like the Victoria Cheesecake Burlesque Review. What I got was more darker and more on the fetish side. I realize that some are very interested in BDSM and such but I am not. There was one designer that had a brilliant black and white line that is fashionable. The BDSM performances though were very uncomfortable for me. My friends agreed that it was not the same as previous years and others agreed that it should be split into two; a burlesque and fun show and a darker show.

After that I got changed into my Deep Space Nine Star Trek uniform and met my wife in her classic Star Trek outfit (with purring tribble) for a room party: The Gnomes and the Cult of Scott Bakula. They have been combining together for a room party for a few years and they have good mead. Soon after arriving my wife and I realized how tired we were and retired for the evening. Some of the room party pics are below, including the Cult of Scott Bakula/Gnomes.


No comments:

Post a Comment