Headings

Food (428) History (350) Travel (238) art (203) France (138) Spain (130) Vancouver Island (123) maritimes (119) UK (96) Portugal (81) Postcard of the Interwebs (70) Musings (47) Tofino (47) Scandinavia (44) book (37) Hornby (29) Movie and TV (25) Conventions (23) Music (19) Wisdom without Zealotry (17) Quadra Island (12) San Francisco (11) Ottawa (5)

Saturday 10 January 2015

2015 Resolutions

I've always made general resolutions as I live my life. Try new things. See new places. Complete new projects. Its important to set goals but its also important to set reasonable and measurable goals.

For example for my body I wish to be healthier. That statement on its own can mean a multitude of things. Food. Exercise. Mental. Spiritual. In my case I want to increase my overall strength level by 12% (one percent a month) while also taking up Tai Chi lessons (something I learned from a book over twenty years ago but forgot as I neglected it). Both goals are measurable and reasonable.

For my mind I want to read more non-fiction. I will quantify this by setting a goal of catching up to 2015 with my National Geographic magazines (I'm on April of 2012 so that will be at least 32 magazines or one per 11 days). This should not be hard as I can read them while eating at work. I am also adding to this the three editions of the Peloponnesian War that I own, the original written by Thucydides, the Donald Kagan book, and the Landmark Thucydides. I also have the Landmark Hellenica that Xenophon wrote that details the rest of the war that picks up after Thucydides. That time period has always interested me and I its time to muckle down and read more about it.

For my spirit I will spend at least five minutes a day not doing anything and just letting my mind be calm and blank. Hopefully this will prevent me from dozing off too early in the evening by allowing my mind to rest as well as helping me to jump into activities better after my little moment of calm.

I can see each of these goals as being reasonable and measurable. I'll let you know how things go.

No comments:

Post a Comment